Current opportunities to serve in China:

If you have needed skills and appropriate experience, a job may already be waiting for you!

For decades, JHF has helped experienced foreign professionals get connected with each other in China, and also learn about job opening around China. We don’t have the staff to keep “current opportunities” on our website, but maybe these ideas will spark your attention and lead you to contact us. We might be able to help you share your qualifications with those looking for someone just like you.

Unless you are teaching English, some level of spoken Chinese will probably be needed. Also be sure to read “Qualifications for Professional Positions” at the end of this post.

Write to us for more information about these and other opportunities, about how to join JHF, or for information about short-term study opportunities in China.


Opportunities vary based on many factors (kindergarten to post-graduate; English and non-English departments; urban and rural settings…). The following information is provided to whet your appetite, so you’ll ask for more information! See “qualifications for educators” below. Teaching salaries in China are often low, especially in the underserved areas where JHF Associates tend to work. Therefore, your goal should be to serve and make a difference, not to “live comfortably.”

More and more private and public institutions are recruiting foreign teachers to teach science and other-than-English language courses (Japanese, French, Spanish…). JHF teachers have taught Biochemistry, Architecture, Physical Therapy, Translation Methodology, MBA classes, and more. We’ve also had an Associate working as a research fellow in a science academy.

Want to STUDY IN CHINA? We can connect you to great language schools for serious learners who want to move their career to China. With some research, you can sometimes find scholarships for advanced studies in China. Concerning opportunities to STUDY MANDARIN (or minority languages, or to study other subjects using Mandarin), click here or write to us. 

University-level English Instructors and Professors
JHF has a good relationship with universities around China. These schools are frequently looking for foreign professionals to teach English and other subjects (in English and/or Chinese). The school year runs from late August to June, with a few weeks off around Chinese New Year (usually in Jan or Feb). Professors need a PhD; college instructors should have at least a Master’s Degree. Write to us for details.

Teachers Wanted – International Schools
We have connections to several schools who have openings for qualified FULL TIME English teachers in English-based international schools located in various regions in China. Requirements vary, but minimum expectation is a Bachelor’s degree in a needed field; teaching experience and TESOL/TEFL/CELTA training are often helpful. These positions are for high school classes and below.

Medical Services

Specialized Doctors and Nurses needed
JHF Associates are making a difference in major hospitals in the west, and nearby hospitals say they would like to hire people like this! Chinese language required. We also know of clinics in China who take care of foreign guests, and organizations who serve local care-givers as trainers and consultants. As China faces an aging population, geriatric services are in demand. Experts who can help institutions learn to increase quality of life as well as length of days are particularly needed.
Wanted: Doctors of any specialty; geriatric specialists; nurses (with Master’s Degree, in specialized area); physiotherapists; occupational therapists; midwives; nurse practitioners
Requirements: Master’s degree minimum; good Mandarin (2-3 years); 2-year perspective at the hospital.
Short term opportunity: Can sometimes place two medical elective students/year for 2 months; knowing some Mandarin would be a plus.



Expat-run businesses provide jobs and/or training for locals, and thus opportunities remain for those with adequate business experience. Investment capital is needed, as well as “business sense”! Starting and running a business in China is not easy, but your association with JHF links you to those who are doing it successfully.

Current or former JHF Associates have owned and/or operated factories, coffee shops, hotels, consulting companies, training centers, counseling centers, coaching services, a specialized medical training company, and other small businesses. We love to help Associates who combine business with social services, such as companies who hire handicapped or otherwise disadvantaged workers. If you feel called to put your business skills to work in China, why not “test your idea” by studying Chinese with JHF for a year or more? Write us for more information.

Baker needed
Looking for an experienced baker, willing to help train hearing-impaired young people. Both the city and the workplace experience extreme temperatures (if you can’t stand the heat, you don’t want to work in a kitchen!). Must speak English fluently (Chinese would be great, too, but is not compulsory at the beginning.)

Other Opportunities

These are only a few of the opportunities made known to us at JHF. Associates with a heart to serve in China are currently doing many things. If you don’t know how your professional skills and experience might be put to use in China, please write to us. You might even want to consider a “vision trip” to see opportunities first hand. Contact us for more information.

Qualifications for Professional Positions

As China continues to develop, international standards for professionalism are more and more the norm. In other words, it’s no longer “good enough” to be a native-English-speaker to teach English, nor for a doctor to show up with a foreign diploma and hope to be employed by a hospital. Also note that unless you own your own business, it is extremely difficult to get a work visa if you are over 60 years old.

English teachers should normally have a Bachelors degree, a TESOL/TEFL qualification and two years relevant experience. Other teachers will normally have qualifications similar to what is required for comparable jobs in their home country. To teach in a higher-level university, master’s-level qualifications (or higher) may be required. Professors need a PhD and teaching experience. However, requirements vary widely, depending on location, subject to be taught, target age of students, and other factors.

No matter what professional position you are applying for, you probably need proof that you have qualifications and experience in that field. For example, a retired teacher had been recruited to work as English-programs Coordinator and part-time Business Manager for a coffee shop, but he was refused a work visa because he lacked management experience. For medical professionals, the process of verifying qualifications and experience takes several months, and some hospitals say “this cannot be done from overseas.” The same may be true for other professions. In general, having at least a Master’s Degree can help you qualify for the desired status of 外国专家 (“foreign expert”) instead of the general category of 劳工就业 (“worker”).

For many professions, you will need several documents (sometimes translated into Chinese) that have been verified by a Chinese consulate abroad. These might include birth certificates, marriage license, diplomas, transcripts, criminal-background-check and professional certificates. The Chinese Embassy website for your country will probably have information about this sometimes-expensive process, which can take many months. Your Chinese employer should also be able to tell you about the documents you need–though smaller schools and companies are sometimes unaware of these requirements until they bring you to the visa office in their city (and by then, it may be too late to get what you need!).

Write to us with specific questions, and we will try to find specific answers; our desire is to help you find a place of service, where your skills can make a difference in China. 

For contact information, click on the “contact us” tab above. (Our Facebook address is “Jian Hua Foundation – HK.”)